12 Myths about Covid-19
1) Can Covid-19 be transmitted through goods produced in
countries where there is ongoing transmission?
Although it can last on surfaces for many hours, but the
environment, transportation and varying temperatures during
shipment make it difficult for the virus to remain active.
If you feel the surface may be contaminated, clean it with a
disinfectant and wash your hands after touching it.
2) Can Covid-19 be transmitted through mosquitoes?
There is no evidence that the novel coronavirus can be
transmitted through mosquitoes. The virus can be spread
through droplets from coughing, sneezing or a patientís
3) How can we be sure that our clothes donít spread
Besides showering every day, you should wash your clothes
using detergent or soap in 60-90 ํC water or add bleach. Dry
the clothes in a high temperature dryer or in the sun.
4) Can drinking alcohol help prevent Covid-19?
Drinking alcohol, such as beer, liquor, wine doesnít help
prevent coronavirus. You should wash your hands often, wear
masks, and avoid being close to those with a fever and
5) Is it true that Covid-19 is transmitted in cold climate
and not in hot and humid climate?
Coronavirus 2019 can be transmitted in any kind of climate.
Wherever you are, no matter what kind of climate, you have
to practice personal hygiene, i.e. wash your hands often,
cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough, and wear masks.
6) Can digital thermometers be 100% effective in detecting
It may take the virus 1-14 days to incubate and cause
symptoms like a fever, so it cannot be used to identify
7) Can UV bulbs used for disinfecting be used to kill
Covid-19 on our body?
Donít use UV bulbs on your hands or any part of the body
because UV light can irritate your skin.
8) Can spraying alcohol or chlorine on your body kill the
Besides not being able to kill the virus inside your body,
it could damage clothes and other tissues like eyes and
9) Can eating garlic prevent covid-19?
Though garlic has some anti-microbial properties, there is
no evidence that it can prevent Covid-19.
10) Can Pneumonia vaccine prevent Covid-19?
This virus is new and different from other strains. We need
a vaccine that is developed specifically. The research team
is working on this through the support of the WHO.
11) Can rinsing your nose regularly with saline solution
Evidence has indicated that rinsing your nose with saline
solution can help us recover faster from the common cold,
but cannot prevent infectious respiratory diseases or
12) Is there any drug that can prevent and treat Covid-19?
At present, there is no drug that can prevent and treat the
disease. Patients should receive proper and supportive care
to alleviate the symptoms. WHO is accelerating research with
all the partners to actively study the treatment for the